Blueberry, Feta and Toasted Pecan Salad

22:15:00 Unknown 0 Comments


This may be my favourite new salad if not my favourite new meal. I am also SO pleased with how the picture came out. This salad encompasses everything I love in a dish: crunchy, nutty, sweet, fresh, healthy and tangy. Everyone knows that berries pair really well with cheese; feta and blueberry make an excellent pairing. I would be lying though if I claimed any other part to be as delicious as the toasted pecans on top. I am a sucker for pecans. If only they were not so expensive. Walnuts or even almonds would make an excellent alternative, but nuts in general are pretty pricy. I wouldn't say fresh berries and nuts is a bargain meal, but since this a vegetarian dinner I feel like I can splash out and have some luxury ingredients from time to time. Rocket's peppery flavour helps balance the sweetness from the blueberries and balsamic glaze and the saltiness from the nuts and feta. Spinach would make a good alternative too. I put down a base of bulgur wheat to make this a substantial dinner; however, that is entirely optional. Quinoa would also make a good base, but the salad as a side or on its own is perfect and delicious. 
Serves 2 / Approximate prep time: 10 minutes 

Ingredients 

150g of fresh blueberries
2 large handfuls of arugula or rocket 
40g of feta 
50g of pecans 
2 sprigs of fresh mint 
balsamic glaze, for drizzling on top 
ground black pepper 
salt
honey, about 2 tsp 

Preparation 
  1. Chop the pecans into small chunks. 
  2. Toast in a frying plan on medium heat (no additional fat required) until you can smell their nutty aroma. Drizzle the honey on top. Season with salt. Mix the nuts to ensure even coating of honey. After about 20-30 seconds remove from the heat. 
  3. Finely chop the fresh mint leaves. 
  4. Evenly distribute the rocket, feta, fresh mint and blueberries between your plates. Or mix together, gently, in a large salad bowl. 
  5. Garnish with the toasted nuts and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar on top. 
  6. Enjoy!




You Might Also Like