Slow Cooked Spiced Applesauce

11:14:00 Unknown 0 Comments


Here in England I have had a hard time finding large applesauce jars that are not packed with sugar. This might just be the shops in my area, but I decided to make my own. This applesauce is so easy to make and was great on my porridge this morning. Another great way to have this applesauce is on a spiced cake like this one I made yesterday! I hope you try out this recipe :)

Ingredients 

8 apples
70 grams of brown sugar (optional)
1 tsp of cinnamon
125ml of water

Preparation 

  1. Peal, core and quarter the apples. 
  2. Place them in the slow cooker and cover with the water. 
  3. Cook on a low heat for 5-8 hours. This really depends on how hot your slow cooker gets. The best way to know if they are done is by the consistency. Also, if you want your applesauce to have some whole apple pieces left, it does not need to cook as long as if you want it completely smooth.
  4. When the sauce nears your desired consistency (about 30 minutes cooking time left) add the sugar and cinnamon. If you want your applesauce unsweetened skip the sugar; however, if you used cooking apple like me some sweetener might be necessary to break down the sharpness of the apple. 
  5. Store in the fridge for 1 week or up to a month in the freezer. 
  6. Enjoy plain or as a topping for any great breakfast!  
Makes approximately 1.3kg of applesauce. Approximate cooking and prep time 5-8 hours. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: