Red Lentil Curry with Toasted Nuts and Steamed Vegetables

21:27:00 Unknown 0 Comments


Whenever I am thinking up recipes for vegan friends I struggle to come up with anything. Then when I am just cooking dinner for myself at home it seems like I gravitate towards vegan meals without even realising it. This recipe is a prime example of that. Honestly, I think my subconscious tries to steer me away from dairy in the evenings. Yeah, a bit TMI I guess. Not that I can always resist dairy. I had Spinach, Mint and Feta pasta last night and fudge for dessert. Clearly I also added a dollop of greek yoghurt to this meal. Anyway, back to the recipe. I am moving on Friday and trying to clear out my cupboard. I needed to use up my red lentils and almond slices and so here we are. This lentil recipe is super versatile and really any spice blend or curry paste can be used. I am actually thinking of adapting a recipe that uses beef mince with red lentils as the replacement because they really soak up seasoning. I actually made little bites from the leftovers (recipe coming soon). This particular spice blend makes for a deliciously aromatic and earthy curry that can easily stand alone. Some steamed veggies were, however, a perfect accompaniment for me.



Ingredients* Serves 3-4 
250g of red lentils, thoroughly washed
1 yellow onion, chopped
6 heaped tbsp of tomato paste
a handful of almond slices
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
2 large carrots, cut into slivers

Spice Blend 
2 tbsps of curry powder
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp ginger (fresh or dried)

Serve with rice and greek yoghurt (optional) 

Preparation Approx. 40 minutes

  1. If serving with rice, put the rice on now. 
  2. Add the red lentils to a medium sized pot and add enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil. 
  3. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium for a steady simmer. Cover the lentils and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. 
  4. In a pan, over medium heat, caramelise the onion. 
  5. Bring a pot with water to boil. When the onions are half way there, but your vegetables into a steaming basket and then onto the pot of water. Allow them to steam for 8-10 minutes. 
  6. Meanwhile, in a bowl combine all the ingredients for the spice blend. Once the onions have caramelised, add the spice blend to the pan and combine for 1-2 minutes. 
  7. Add to the lentils.
  8. Stir in the tomato paste. 
  9. Using a paper towel, quickly wipe the pan clean. 
  10. On a medium/high heat, toast the almonds until golden. 
  11. Serve the lentils with steamed vegetables and rice. 
  12. Garnish the lentils with the toasted almonds. 
  13. Enjoy! 


*Recipe inspired and adapted from Red Lentil Curry by Emma Maher 



You Might Also Like