Peanut Butter Hummus

15:47:00 Unknown 0 Comments


 
This recipe was a happy accident. Now that I've made it, an accident I would happily repeat. Whilst in Switzerland I have had a hard time finding hummus, so I decided to make my own recipe. Chickpeas were easy to find but tahini paste not so much. I thought why not try peanut butter. Easily available and the nuttiness should work well as a substitute. To my surprise, I kind of prefer it this way. The flatbread chips are my normal recipe featured here. For chips simply bake them at 190C for 10 minutes.



Ingredients 
Makes about 850g worth of hummus 

800g of tinned chickpeas
6 tablespoons of peanut butter, unsalted and unsweetened
8 tablespoons of lime juice
1 tsp of ground cumin
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp salt (only 1 if using peanut butter with salt)
1 tbsp of olive oil
approx. 50 ml of water

Preparation 
  1. Wash and peal the chickpeas. Pealing the chickpeas is not necessary per se, but it will make the hummus MUCH creamier. 
  2. Add the peanut butter and lime juice to a blender or food processor. Whiz for one minute. Then scrape down the sides and whiz for another 30 seconds. 
  3. Add the cumin, garlic cloves, salt and olive oil. 
  4. Finally, add the chickpeas. 
  5. Combine whilst pouring the water. You may need more or less water. Stop adding water until you get a desired consistency. It should be like a thick mousse. 
  6. Simply remove from the food processor and enjoy! 



You Might Also Like