Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Orzo

09:27:00 Unknown 0 Comments


My mum's chicken bowtie pasta was one of my absolute favourite dishes. Right up there with a traditional lasagne. Since changing my diet I have been on the hunt for veggie alternatives to my old favourites. I've been going about this simply by replacing the meat with an even better pairing. In this case I thought spinach and artichoke would go wonderfully with the creamy, garlic and wine base to this pasta sauce. I am still excited about the finish product. Obviously it is not going to taste exactly the same as with chicken, but the core flavours I love are there. This dish is luxurious, rich, creamy but also warm, sweet and full of depth.



Ingredients Serves 3-4 
230g of orzo, uncooked
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp of olive oil
400g of artichoke hearts, roughly chopped into bite sized pieces 
100g of spinach 
1 tsp of dried basil
1/8 tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp of flour
1 cube of vegetable stock
120 ml of sun-dried tomatoes
120 ml cream
60 ml of dry white whine
60 ml of grated parmesan 

Cooking Time!

  1. Saute the garlic, artichoke, basil and crushed chilli peppers in the olive oil on a medium/high heat in a deep dish pan. 
  2. Cook and stir for 4 minutes until everything is lightly golden. 
  3. At this point cook the orzo according to packet instructions. 
  4. Add the sun-dried tomatoes tomatoes and wine and simmer for approx. 10 minutes. 
  5. Stir in the cream, stock and flour (you may need more or less depending on desired thickness of sauce).
  6. Add the parmesan and let simmer for another 2 minutes. 
  7. Stir in the pasta and serve! A drizzle of balsamic glaze is a perfect accompaniment. 
Serves 3-4. Approximate cooking time 30-40 minutes. 

You Might Also Like