Toasted Pita Salad

16:56:00 Unknown 0 Comments



This salad was inspired by the Rusk Salad from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty More. His beautiful cookbook was given to me by a new friend, making this salad even more special. As I am lucky enough to live in London, I will definitely be making a stop at one of his restaurants in the near future. When I was younger my mum used to make this Greek inspired roast chicken, and she always paired it with a tomato, red onion salad. This salad is the love child of that simple salad my mum used to make and Ottolenghi's herby version. The pitas are my own addition, which I think work really well this combination of flavours. It is a really easy salad, but it looks vibrant and elegant. It makes the perfect light lunch or side to a heavier main. I hope you give my version a try!


Serves 2 or 3-4 as a starter 

Ingredients
- 2 small pita breads 
- 200g of small, sweet tomatoes (e.g. cherry tomatoes), halved
- 100g of feta
- a handful of fresh parsley, roughly chop. 
- half a red onion, finely minced 
- 1.5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil 
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar 
- 1/2 tsp of sumac 
- salt and pepper to taste 

Extra toppings: slices of olives, capers, toasted pine nuts 

Preparation
  1. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, red wine vinegar, sumac and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside. 
  2. Cut the pita bread into bite-sized chunks. 
  3. Heat a pan to medium-high, drizzle with a little bit of oil and toast until golden on both sides. Alternatively, toast in a toaster and then cut into pieces. 
  4. Dress individual, or a large serving plate with the tomato, onion salad. 
  5. Evenly scatter the feta in chunks. Do the same with the parsley. 
  6. Just before serving, add the pita bread on top. Drizzle with some more olive oil and a dusting of sumac. 
  7. Enjoy! 



You Might Also Like

0 comments: